Monday, March 5, 2012

Le Copine

Some time back, a friend dropped some rather valuable knowledge on me: a girl I had taken an interest in was already dating someone. I had more or less lost interest in a lot of things by then (as I was retreating into my mind, and other activities) but okay, it was valuable to know for future reference. I think. Still, it was a bit of a bummer but it happens, live and let live, the wheel keeps turning, the river keeps flowing, oh well, etc and so forth. This bit of news didn't really bother me because I hadn't expected my luck with the ladies, as of late, to change in my favor. After he dropped said knowledge on me, I shrugged off my initial slice of disappointment because, like I said, I hadn't expected my luck to change favorably or at all. If anything had happened, it would have happened; if not, I would have just kept marching on. No big deal. A while later, he said I shouldn't let that spot of bad luck get to me and that I perhaps would meet someone very soon.

I shrugged that off but later thought about it in more detail. I then realized that while he meant well, he had taken a tone similar to certain relatives. The same ones who ask about my girlfriend and ask when I'm getting married.

Gustavo Barba-Roja, you cad! Have you no shame?! Were you about to stick your finger in another pie?! One that was already taken?! You're a monster and I feel so sorry for soon-to-be-former-future-Mrs. Barba-Roja! That poor thing. You fiend! If I could slap you over the internet, I would bludgeon you repeatedly! You scoundrel! Hmph!

What?! No! Let me explain!

I have no plans to get married any time soon meaning I have no fiancée; my relatives just like to bust my chops (I hope they don't mean it when they ask about when I'm getting married). They have this habit of asking "How's your girlfriend?" every time they see me, to which I reply:
I don't have one. Because I don't.
or
Which one? Just to end that particular conversation with a laugh because promiscuity, when a man does it, is a laughing matter and is worthy of some sort of praise, within certain circles and cultural groups, when a man does it.

Now that things are a little clearer, I can get on with this post.

My friend took a tone similar to my relatives in the sense that there was an assumption of some sort that I was actively seeking a relationship to cure any woes I may have. Or to cure that slight but apparent shred of loneliness. Admittedly, I was a bit crestfallen but not enough to make me weep or anything. I'm at a point where any problems I have will probably not be solved by entering in a relationship. As pessimistic as it sounds, those problems would probably be exacerbated and would create 2 more bitter people as a result. I'm open to the idea but I won't go out of my way to seek one out.

You cad.
Eh.

Hmm.

If there's anything I need in regards to any sort of relationship, it would probably be a muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.