Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Review: Lucha Libre (by Jerry Frissen)

Lucha Libre
Jerry Frissen, various artists
2006

In this review, I use "issue" in the same way one would use "trade paperback" or "volume" though it'd be easier to just say "collected edition", wouldn't it?

I've been reading and buying a number of comic books lately. 

Mostly Judge Dredd (by way of the Complete Case Files), Batman (including but not limited to: Court of Owls, City of Owls, Black Glove), some of Jeph Loeb's work (Spider-Man Blue, Daredevil Yellow, Hush), The Walking Dead, Preacher, Supreme Power, and I'm waiting for Bone to come in the mail.

I've enjoyed most of what I've been reading though I must have admit that reading Jeph Loeb has made me recognize plot twists right away even if it's not a Jeph Loeb story. Or maybe my cynicism, or the fact that a number of his stories however gripping and well-told are ultimately formulaic. Read and enjoy some of them and you'll recognize what I call "The Loeb Blow."

Anyway, recently, a friend turned me on to some issues of Lucha Libre, a series by Jerry Frissen that has some of the things I enjoy and am interested in: supernatural creatures, lucha libre, and weird premises.

Unfortunately, that's where any praise ends because as I told my friend after reading the first of the three issues he lent me ("Introducing: The Luchadores Five"):

"Lucha Libre (1) suffers from poor execution and not enough delivery even for setting the foundation. It doesn't set the stage very well. It's okay at best. It breaks under its own weight in the sense that the premise is interesting but the delivery isn't."

And it's true. The premise of luchadores facing off against werewolves in Los Angeles (I'm already very interested) should be a goldmine of some really weird shit and striking artwork but maybe that's the problem. It bit off more than it could chew and instead of delivering something relatively unique, it delivers a middling, irritating, reading experience. 

Characters are introduced, scenarios are hinted at, motivations barely acknowledged, and then you turn the page and the story's over. Now you're staring at something else (Profesor Furia's brief exploits, which admittedly are more entertaining than the main attraction).

The characters are far too shallow and uninteresting to follow or even give a damn about even with hints of what I'm assuming are supposed to be interesting backstories. There are hints at something greater but subsequent issues serve nothing to the purpose: the next two issues just introduce more characters with fainter glimpses at backstories and motivations. 

Even the format in which the stories are presented are very restricting and actually hinder the work. It shouldn't be confined to small rectangles but should imitate the violent graceful poetry of lucha libre. Go on youtube and check out some lucha libre videos and you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

The whole time I was reading the issues I kept thinking "Get to the fucking point already." but the fucking point never arrived. Maybe because of the story-telling that failed to deliver on a wonderful premise or because I got tired of it and stopped after the third issue (Hele mei hoohiwahiwa). Maybe it actually gets better but I honestly don't care enough to pick up where I left off.

Lucha Libre promises the world on a silver platter (come on, admit it: you thought the premise was pretty fucking cool, or at the very least worthy of a read) but ultimately delivers nothing.

That's all I really want to say because this review would just get more erratic and whiny.

Honestly, do yourself a favor and find that cartoon ¡Mucha Lucha! It's far more entertaining, well-written, and interesting than Lucha Libre could ever hope to be.

3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.