Monday, August 15, 2011

Banner

Growing up I was made fun of. A lot. I never truly understood why this was. Why was I being made fun of for simply for being myself? I followed the rules, I stayed out of people's ways, I tried to treat others the way I wanted to be treated but despite all this they hurt me. Bastards. Their insults got to me, as did their fists and kicks, as they are wont to do. It hurt more because I was just a kid, and I didn't understand why this was. If it was appearance, it was unfair that among the other lanky kids with glasses I was the only one to be singled out.

As I went through school, I was still made fun of, and a target for bigger bullies. The insults hurt less but the physical pain hurt a bit more. I remember I confronted one once. I asked him if I had ever done anything to him to warrant such idiotic behavior from him. He said he picked on me just for the sake of doing it. What the fuck did I ever do to him? Nothing. If I had done something to slight him then there might have been a tiny pebble of justification for being a jerk to me, but since there wasn't I'm just baffled. How does one push someone else around "just because"? This is madness!

I embarrassed him once the following year in front of our class. He couldn't walk the walk and I felt a slight peace as he sat there baffled and gathering anger. Of course that didn't stop him from confronting me later that day, when I was alone. I didn't back down and nothing happened. He just stopped. After that, I was still made fun of but I had already begun building up this shoddy shield that kept out most of the sting and injury of my environment.

Stuff still got through but it hurt way less, for the most part. What this did to me was make me strange, angry, and jolly above all. I'm not actually bitter, though I have these moments of "This prick1 is really THAT sweet2 guy?"

I blame those vile fucked up jars called people.

They bring out the worst in me by projecting their insecurities onto me. I'm not a bitter person by nature. Though rumors have it that I'm a very angry person. I sincerely doubt that. Or I'm in denial about my anger. Let's hope I never get blasted with gamma radiation. But yes, I'm not a bitter person by nature.

I can't say the same for others but they make me angry through their bitterness, those incorrigible fiends! Incapable of respect, concern, being considerate or being human! It's people like these who make this world a terrible place and fuck it up for the rest of us. They demand and take too much. Rarely giving far too little or just nothing at all.

I'm trying my best not to lose my temper. "All I wanna do is walk the stupid path of peace" as that old Mad TV sketch with Will Sasso (as Steven Seagal) and David Carradine goes.

Ah.

1 Prick is an insult, obviously. And a term reserved for someone who behaves indecorously.
2 I've been described positively as many things. Sweet is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.