Thursday, February 28, 2013

VWD

Lately, I've been thinking about sabotage because every action seems to be an act of sabotage in some strange way. Whether it be a snide remark in passing that somehow manages to sour another person's mood for the day or something more blatant like pouring sugar in the gas tank.

And I wonder why it is that we seem to engage in acts of destruction against others. Willful or otherwise. Glaring or subtle. Is it a lack of control or just a subconscious desire to bring others down? But then, why bring others down? Do we need to bring others down in an effort to march towards equality? That isn't equality at work, just general asshole behavior.

Can we not improve upon ourselves rather than bring others down? And if we surpass them, can we not help them?

That's if your goal is equality of some sort but since sabotage seems to be almost second nature to many people, I'm betting that an egalitarian society will always be beyond our collective reach.

I know I've been a victim of some sort sabotage, just as many of you have been as well. I don't recall if it was ever justified but goddamn, did it hurt knowing what was going on. At first, anyway. After the initial phase, I probably just stopped caring or was distracted by something else. The latter is the more likely reason.

And in the same way, I've been the perpetrator as well. That I really don't actually understand because I've taught myself growing up that I should be honest and treat others the same way I would want to be treated. Seriously, I raised myself to have those beliefs but that's another story for another time. So for me to screw shit up for someone makes no sense and makes me think that perhaps sabotage is in our DNA and collective minds because being ill with the flu or a cold is an inconvenience that could morph into a liability which in turn prevents one from doing the things they must, or the things they enjoy. Yet, we still get sick. (I realize how misinformed this is but I was just trying to fill space.)

I don't like it but I know I've sabotaged others. And they me. It's a shame really because together, people can accomplish more than they would on their own. Especially if people are too busy willfully destroying each other's plans and goals and such.

As Raul Julia (playing Bison) said in Street Fighter:

For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.

and (more relevantly):

Had you worked together instead of against each other, you might have been successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.