Friday, March 29, 2013

Coughed and Shook His Crumpled Wings

I spoke to someone about anger recently and it forced me to reflect on it on and off for about a week. I didn't like it because it made me remember how fucked up people can be when angry. Mostly the beatings I received as a child growing up, or being yelled at to the point of crying and wishing I was dead. And remembering how I would make other people cry and feel like shit. A vicious cycle that I would like to end.

I understand that anger can be necessary for great acting performances that earn you awards, or to get a point across but most of the time, when are we trying to win gold statues or have such intense arguments that we need to drown each other out in order to appear to be the winner of said argument?

I don't like being angry. It's a generally awful state of being that I prefer to avoid as much as possible simply because it's a waste of time, energy, and is destructive. It's more than I'm concerned about others than I am about myself at this point. It's not that I'll get so mad I'll start dragon kicking everybody in the room but that I'll say something that I'll later regret. When you say things you later regret, you tend to harm others in a potentially irreparable way: emotional and mental scars are a bitch to get past.

If I were to focus more on myself, I'd probably say things like:
Being angry forces me to shout and snarl at people which in turn causes me to wear out my voice, I love my voice.

I don't like being angry because when I start throwing punches, my knuckles are the ones that feel the pain. Plus I have to wipe other people's blood from them.

You know, needlessly narcissistic things. That ain't me. I don't play that. I never been about that!

Although I can definitely see the benefit of anger getting the blood flowing. And gets the creative machine up and running. See the Nine Inch Nails discography for examples.

Still, I digress.

Anger is destructive and fun but the sort of fun that'll land you in more hot water than you can handle: the one that'll burn you alive and leave you with some nasty scars if you survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.