Monday, January 9, 2012

Lifting and Setting Down Each Foot in Turn

More often than not, I find myself walking a range of distances, alone. This is partly by choice and due to the fact that few people want to be around me for extended periods of time, willingly. That's fine by me; I've reached a point where I simply say "meh" to just about everything, including that particular brand of ostracism. In fact, I'm at a point where I'm used to it and generally expect it, for the most part. Some would say, "Oh! How ghastly!" to either: me being shunned (with malice or otherwise, who the hell knows or cares?) or my willingness to be off on my own. But I eloquently respond: meh.

On these walks, time seems to slow down and I absorb more than just sunlight and air. I focus on the sounds and sights though they tend to be mainly buildings and cars passing by. Then this phenomena gets deeper and deeper. I start to notice an abundance of a particular color or sounds that seem to be distant. Sure, they're ordinary sights and sounds but in some sort of isolation you tend to focus because you have no other choice. That's to say that there is no other alternative but to pay attention. I would probably listen to music during these walks if I had the chance but I don't have a portable music player on me anymore: a double-edged sword in various respects. Negatively, I grow bored or can't escape certain situations as easily. Positively, I can pay more attention to what is around me which in turn is another double-edged sword and another story, for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.