Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Double Great or: on Walk Hard

If you know me in real life, you'll know that I have what some would call "an unhealthy obsession" with the movie Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. "An unhealthy obsession" just seems totally inaccurate. I do not obsess movies. I just really like the movie, and the soundtrack.

I think it's a funny movie, albeit a tad low brow every at some points. Aside from the humor that evades some people, I also found it inspirational/motivational, believe it or not.

Why?

Mainly because the main character rises from nothing to having great success and overcoming his obstacles and personal demons. It's archetypal but in a movie that lampoons biopics (and movies that are generally obviously aiming from some prestigious awards), it's surprising.

Dewey Cox (played by John C. Reilly) goes from simple country boy with nothing in particular to set him apart until tragedy strikes and he is forced to be "double great." in the wake of his hyper-talented brother dying. Dewey goes through life without love from his father, a sense of smell, and pressure of being "double great." But through all his struggles, he finds the power to overcome his demons, kick his drug addictions and makes some of the best music ever heard. (Really, the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard.)

Why is this movie special for me?

Dewey Cox has no sense of smell. I have no sense of smell. Well, that's not entirely true; I have a very weak sense of smell that seems to have a mind of its own. It's very weak and in order for me to actually smell anything, that smell has to be very strong- rotting corpse a foot away from me, or walking in front of a bakery as fresh bread is being baked, along with pastries and other goods. This is no exaggeration: often, I've found myself with a lady and near flowers, roses in particular. Under varying circumstances. I've been asked to smell them. I couldn't. I even held the flower as if covering my nostril and inhaled as deeply as I could.

A doctor said I'm very heavily congested. While he knew his stuff and obviously didn't get his degree online, I still have my doubts.

Of course, there's more to that bizarre similarity that makes the movie speak to me. It's how Dewey went through life. When things took chaotic turns for the worst, he had his faith shaken and gave in temporarily, only to climb out of his dark place just as quickly. Everything he worked hard for would be tossed aside by some turn of events- sex, drugs, rock and roll, etc. But he always managed to come out on top with a goofy smile on his face somehow. Each time he went through hell, he came out a wiser man ready to take on the ever-changing world. He always learned and he always fought to keep going.

This post seems a little scattered because I'm thinking about the movie and what stuff may be relevant to what I'm trying to say. Ha.

In a nutshell, the movie entertained me thoroughly and unexpectedly taught me (or reminded me) that anything can be achieved through hard work, dedication, believing in oneself, and always trying hard.

It's even in the lyrics to the title song, Walk Hard*

One part in particular stands out to me:

When I meet my maker on my dying day,
gonna look him in the eye
and, by God, I'll say:
I gave my word and my word was good;
I took it in the face and I walked as hard as I could!



* I'm quite partial to the punk version, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.