Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Movember

Movember (or No-Shave November) is a month in which men don't shave, as to grow out a beard or mustache or just have an excuse to not shave and be rough and ragged and manlier. Movember, however, is also an event for charity in which funds are raised for men's health causes as well as raising awareness for men's health issues. You can read more about it here: About Movember.

Right.

So, as you readers may or may not be aware, Gustavo Barba-Roja is just my pen name. And a damn cool one, too, if I say so myself. What's that? Stop stroking my own ego because it makes me come off as a jerk? All right. Well, I'm participating in Movember and hope to raise some money in order to help fight diseases like prostate cancer and the like.

Wait, your pen name is Gustavo Barba-Roja?
Yeah. My facial hair is primarily black (or really really really dark brown that it teeters on black) but through the magic of genetics, a fair amount of it grows a noticeable shade of red (not red like an apple but you know what I mean). So that's the story of my pen name- because my facial hair grows a nice amount of red, I ran with it.

Well, for this month I won't actually have a beard, or a full one anyway. Stubble and patchiness, most definitely. Ah. But if it helps, it helps. This really is a sacrifice of some sort because I really like my facial hair and it has taken me a while to grow, and it makes me appear wiser, older, more respectable in a strange sort of way. And to give that up is pretty hard. It took about 30 minutes to undo what took me about a month to grow and kept for about 8 months.

Right.

I suppose I should get to the point behind this post.

I'd like your help, readers, in this cause. Participate in Movember yourself, of donate if/what you can. click here. I'd prefer you make a general donation but if for some reason you want to make a donation to me, which I'll pass on, click here for my MoSpace My "MoSpace" Yes, it is called a MoSpace.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.