Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Review: El Arte de la Elegancia de LFC


El Arte de la Elegancia de LFC
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
2009


A while back I was up late talking to a friend about the state of modern music, in particular Latin rock (or rock en español as it is also known). We came to the conclusion that the quality of music has dropped significantly over the years (read: we stated the obvious). Somehow, I started thinking of one of my favorite bands of all time: Los Fabulosos Cadillacs and started looking through their discography. Upon seeing that they had released El Arte de la Elegancia de LFC in 2009, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. I was in shock that I was totally oblivious to their most recent release. And it was an even better discovery that it was not a compilation! So I hopped on Spotify and gave it a listen and this is where my review starts.

The album itself is not necessarily a strictly all original recording but a collection of predominantly old songs reworked (including "CJ", "El Sonido Joven de America", "Tanto como un dios", "Surfer Calavera", "Soledad") and some new stuff ("Siete Jinetes", "Lanzallamas") which includes "Vamos Ya!" which is a cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Move on Up".

"Vamos Ya!" was the first song I heard off the album because "Move on Up" is one of my favorite songs of all time. I had the great pleasure of being in the audience for a taping of Conan in early December of 2010. My friends and I sat close to the front (2nd row, if I recall correctly) and I was overjoyed when the Basic Cable Band covered "Move on Up". So yes, to find out that one of my favorite bands of all time covered one of my favorite songs of all time, I was ready to have my mind blown.

It was not the case. The song felt underwhelming on the first listen but later I realized that the way the song was performed/recorded/arranged/(whatever you want to call it) made sense and was in keeping with the direction the band had taken. This direction started with La Marcha del Golazo Solitario: Los Fabulosos Cadillacs have toned their sound down. Not to say they lack energy but that they possess a different type of energy. One that is slower and more laid back but just as effective and powerful as their earlier days. Truth be told, I wasn't a fan of Marcha when I first heard it but it grew on me with each listen.

So after some repeat listening, "Vamos Ya!" grew on me. As for the rest of the album, once I put 2 and 2 together, it made more sense. This still doesn't change the fact that this album is like a man in a business suit wearing a mohawk. I make this odd analogy because the album tries to reach back to the earlier days while still being rooted in a more toned down ferocity. Listening to Vicentico's vocals alone is proof enough: compare this version of "Surfer Calavera" with the original.

The sound of the album is still great (and I'm saying this as neutrally as possible), and the songs that were selected to be reworked were ultimately good choices though the effect is varied and not always overwhelmingly impressive: the rework of "Tanto Como un Dios". "Surfer Calavera" feels like a different song that matches can stand on its own as a great song even without comparison to the wildly energetic original.

The analogy extends to the new songs which feel like they belong somewhere between 1986 and 1989. They feel a little awkward at first but eventually grow on you. Though not as much as the reworks of their songs which make you appreciate the originals and the effort that went into the new versions. The album will grow on you with repeat listens unlike say... El Leon and Fabulosos Calavera which grab you right from the start with boundless intensity and never let you go. Arte is like Marcha which reveals little by little until you've found yourself listening to it at least 15 times and still enjoying it.

Where would I put this album? Definitely above La Luz del Ritmo. But I wouldn't say it has enough merit to dethrone or replicate La Marcha del Golazo Solitario's charm.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.