Sunday, November 6, 2011

Preach

Sometimes I think I preach too much. By sometimes I mean whenever I read my own posts. Outside the blog, I tend to stay quiet and reserved and listening to what people say, or pretending to do so. Despite the fact that I think I preach too much, there's really nothing of substance here. Even if there is any degree of depth and substance, it's all found in posts that weren't by me such as the stories and poetry of other (far better) writers.

I think that's my main problem. My work always ends up being a poor imitation of those who I admire. At least, that's what I've led myself to believe. The opposite may be true- my work stands fine on its own, but I really have no way of knowing this because despite being my own fiercest critic, I have no way of genuinely judging my work dispassionately/unbiasedly. As I answered a question: Can you sing? Yes or no?

I left it blank but wrote, "I'm not a very good judge of my own abilities. Sorry."

I'll be too harsh on myself and not see even the slightest sliver of merit. Or vice versa, as it was one summer a long time ago by which I mean I'll think of my work as being so great that I won't even think of doubting myself.

Hmm.

But yes, I do preach too much which is odd because I often loathe the sound of my voice.

Could be worse, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.