Monday, December 26, 2011

Marked by Emptiness

A life that goes on without any form of validation is often one that is marked by emptiness. Not necessarily because validation itself is missing but because the factors that form (or in pieces, form) validation, are absent.

But is a validated life necessarily one worth living? Depends what validates it. Something generally good and worthwhile that benefits more than just the self is a good example, no? What's an example of that? Friendship. If you don't have a friend and go through life all alone, something must be off. I don't mean to say that you should surround yourself with people all the time everywhere you go. What I mean is you should know someone you can trust and talk to on a deeper level than just "someone I make small talk with every now and then".

What if one chooses isolation/to be away from everything and everyone? Then perhaps there is some satisfaction, even happiness, in that decision. That satisfaction validates things. And no actual harm is done to anything or anyone. This is probably impossible because humans are social creatures. To live alone, away from populations (even small ones), for extended periods of time can warp the mind. One loses their sense of self and their mind.

While losing your mind may sound cool to some people, it's probably a horrid experience. I say I lost my mind but whether I'm joking or not, I really can't tell sometimes and it scares me. It seems like I did lose my mind a couple of years ago and have been functioning fairly well since. However, I'm always distracted by something long enough for me to not notice or think about it.

Hmm. Validation. It's something that just sort of seems to happen after an undetermined amount of time. And under unexpected circumstances. As long as it gets there, things'll be all right. But stranger things have been known to happen, and exceptions exist, so who really knows anything anymore? Who's anyone to say anything about that or this?

What's to be done with those who are marked by emptiness? Live and let live.

Originally, I was going to write about something else but this poured out so I went with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.