Monday, April 16, 2012

0100000101001001

A while back, someone asked me a few questions in an effort to compare and contrast the intelligences of humans versus machines. The purpose was also to write about what intelligence means and how to relates to humans and machines. The main argument, if I recall correctly, asserted that only humans (and other legitimately organic beings, for that matter, I suppose) are capable of legitimate intelligence because machines are only capable of artificial intelligence which, as the name suggests, is not real and furthermore just an illusion. A machine can only process what information is fed to it and cannot come up with legitimately original thoughts, ideas, etc. You know, that same old argument that everyone uses.

Of course, one should point out that the level of sophistication of artificial intelligence may someday reach the point where machines will etc Terminator scenario humans blah blah war to really fuck shit up blah back to the stone age etc doomsday blah blah blah. Blah.

Anyway.

Being the closest available human, I was chosen to answer a few questions. I saved my answers because I thought it would make for an interesting entry not because I can't think of anything else to write at this point in other than this run-on sentence or because my prose stuff is in a weird state of hibernation while good ideas surface and so forth.

As with the other entry, any stuff that has been italicized is just me (currently) expanding on the original answers.

First question. "What is love?" Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more

That's a pretty hard question for anyone to answer because love is a lot of different things to everyone. Any definition of love always depends on conditions, setting, people, and other shifting and time-sensitive factors. And there are different types of love: platonic, romantic, family, etc. I still haven't come up with any end-all definition (or one that could stand the test of time for a few years, at least) for myself in regards to those types or in general, to be honest. Partly because it's one of those things that are difficult to put in words and not have their meaning get lost. And because I have a hard time understand the already established definitions without wanting to defy them, somehow. Not maliciously or even willingly, but I always find myself straying from the set path.

If I had to give an answer right now, I would probably have to say that, to me, love would probably be this mutually-held strange [sic] and comforting feeling of being at peace at all times with yourself and whoever you love, through the good and bad times. Not that lurid TV/movie bullshit that people unfortunately use as a standard for god-knows-what. I have another answer that is oft used in a more humorous vein and actually hits close to the truth but it is a bit obscene; so I'll spare you, reader. Chances are you can probably guess what it is because you probably think something similar.

What is your goal in life?
I really don't have what you would call a conventional "goal in life" other than to be happy, however I can. And to own a motorcycle. Seriously, that's my only tangible goal in life: own a motorcycle. Not just any motorcycle but a Triumph Bonneville. It's one of the very few things in my mind that has remained entirely consistent since I was a kid: the motorcycle thing. The specificity came into play after I saw The Great Escape (not after watching Sons of Anarchy as some people might think). What? I'm not ashamed to admit that a movie further fueled my interest in a "dangerous" vehicle.

Nor am I ashamed to admit that I don't have a set of conventional goals in life. That's not to say I don't have a plan because I do. Well, I have a rough draft of an idea of what I want to do. I say rough draft and idea because I want to leave enough room for growth and anticipation of unexpected events because the only that's certain is change. That's not being reckless or a drifter, that's being pragmatic.

But yes, other more conventional goals like "owning a house" and "driving a fancy car" don't really appeal to me. That's not say that I think those are stupid goals or anything like that, they just don't appeal to me. If they appeal to others, fine, whatever, go for it, pursue that ride, etc. Chances are we do have some common ground. Say, housing, for instance. One would say they want to purchase a lovely 4 bedroom home with lawn and all that stuff. I would say that I'm more inclined towards living (at least for a while) in a simple one bedroom apartment.

I'm led to believe that not wanting what others want (read: the more traditional goals in life) makes me different. It isn't my intention to try to be different, it is how it is. I don't want the things people tell I should want, or the things that they want. I'm also under the impression that this also indicates that there may be something wrong with me. Other than my physical flaws- poor eyesight etc, I didn't realize that I was a monster of some sort. But I'll be fair and acquiesce that this may be in part a temporary state of mind.


How are you doing today?
Pretty well, I guess. A generic but fitting response in a way. Well, more versatile than "generic" though either term can be misused and so forth. Kinda cold but that's why I have my jacket. Well, as cold as it can get around these parts anyway. It doesn't help that I'm thin and am more likely to be torn apart, metaphorically speaking, by the cold. Yes, I almost begin to convulse if I get cold enough.

Can you ask me a question?
I can and I will. Have you seen "Once Upon a Time in the West" yet? I've lost count of how many times I've fucking told you to see that movie. Plank.

What was the last movie you saw?
The last movie I saw was Pi. Directed by Aronofsky. It was alright. Fucking numbers, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.