Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cuaresma completa

Lent has ended.

I wish I could say I found the experience enlightening or fulfilling but the truth is: I didn't. I found the whole affair frustrating and unnerving. I don't feel as if I've actually learned or accomplished anything meaningful that will help me with anything (or even help me grow as a person). Maybe all that was accomplished was a slight form of suffering and sacrifice but is that really an accomplishment, per se?

My moral fiber remains as it has always been; little has changed in regards to spirituality, and I guess my patience however shaken it was, remains steadfast.

Perhaps because I'm not an actual Catholic, I did not gain anything from this experience. My reasoning for attempting Lent, despite not being a Catholic, was that I thought it was unfair that my Catholic friends had to make sacrifices while I got to strut around free from guilt and sacrifice, as I don't belong to any particular religious organization. I figured I'd show solidarity by giving up two things that are almost intrinsic to me: swearing and drinking. More swearing than drinking; although, I was faced with a constant supply of alcohol (read: I was surrounded by beer every day for about 3 weeks straight).

It was very difficult because I was always on the edge of just saying, "nuts to this" and surrendering ahead of schedule. I should mention, however, that I failed a handful of times. I swore out of great frustration, and drank (once). I don't know how to justify the drinking so I won't even try. I did feel an enormous amount of guilt when I did these things but consulted a friend who said to just start over and not to do it again.

I was perplexed because I figured there'd be some sort of ritual required for atonement whenever one slipped up. I really am not familiar with Catholicism other than the stuff I hear from friends during rare/sporadic discussions of faith. I was baptized when I was 2 or 3 but that doesn't mean I can recite fundamental/important tenets and such. And despite my ancestors being Catholics (thanks, Cortez), I know little about the whole thing. I do have my opinions, but they are rather undercooked and thus need more knowledge before they can be shared without coming off as banal and dim or appallingly ghastly in their foul nature. (I ain't too learned in these here Catholic ways to sound like one of them folks with eloquent opinions an' such. I'd be talkin' like of them other fools! Ah-hyuk!)

That same friend also told me that you can take Sundays off when I said that I had finished Lent (when it fact it wouldn't be over for another few days).

"I did 40 days, it's over." I said, breathing a sigh of relief and itching to get back to swearing regularly.
"It's over on Easter, dummy." he chuckled.
"But it's been 40 days." I said, perplexed.
"You take Sundays off." he said, in a nonchalant yet matter-of-fact way.
"You mean I could have been swearing and drinking on the Sabbath?!" I asked, almost outraged but more stupefied.
"Hahahaha yeah!" he responded, coolly.

Hmm.

Maybe I did learn something: research things thoroughly beforehand. Whether or not I apply acquired knowledge is a question that can only be answered by time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind, if you so choose.